Each year, about 170 people die in the United States as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from non-automotive consumer products such as portable generators, fireplaces, furnaces, ranges, water heaters and room heaters.
To prevent carbon monoxide deaths, Minnesota state law now requires all homes to have carbon monoxide detectors installed within 10 feet of every bedroom.
What You Need to Know About Carbon Monoxide
- Symptoms of low-level carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness.
- Higher CO poisoning symptoms include mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness and ultimately death.
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, make sure all appliances are properly installed according to manufacturer’s instructions and building codes; never service fuel-burning appliances without proper knowledge; don’t operate a portable generator in or near an enclosed space such as a garage, house or other building; install a CO alarm; never leave a car running in an attached garage, even with the garage door open; never use gas appliances to heat your home.
- If you think you are experiencing CO poisoning, get outside for fresh air immediately and call your fire department.